Saturday 21 May 2016

OTP project using an embroidery frame

 Hello all,

It's been a few days since I last blogged, we have been having trouble with our broadband and I haven't been able to get on here for a long enough length of time to do anything useful. Today it has been better so I have been rushing around the internet visiting my DT duties and my other favourite sites and now doing this post! Lets hope the broadband lasts long enough to finish this!

So today I wanted to show you this! It is part of my Swirlydoos monthly kit - Purple Haze kit.
We had an embroidery hoop in our kit and I decided to make an Altered art 'off the page' project with it, so it turns out a bit like a shadow box.


We had a Blue fern Studios chipboard decorative circle in the kit. After painting it with gesso I covered it with some texture paste through a stencil to give it some texture. When dry I also used versamark and stamped a script stamp in various places around the chippie and used embossing powder - heated it to add extra texture and a little bit of a resist to the next step - painting some well watered down micra paints to the barer parts left.  I glued this chippie to the front of the embroidery hoop. I backed the frame with one of the Blue fern Studios Serendipity papers, these are so beautiful!
Having added some Blue fern Studios flowers and some Petaloo flowers from the kit with the Prima Shabby Chic Treasure piece, a pearl swirl from my stash, the sparkly lime Dazzlers and used a Kaisercraft quote die cut card from a previous Swirlydoos kit, I decided it still needed more. I then added the banner behind the frame with the white organizer ribbon. With some cheesecloth pushed in here and there and the everything dabbed with gesso using my sponge adapter, I was pretty pleased with the result!



I inked the edges of my papers with Distress ink Milled Lavender and Walnut Stain.


Adding the banner behind the frame gave me another level to embellish and give the piece more depth.


The embroidery hoop I also painted with a coat of gesso before I started altering it.


The pearl swirl I cut up into pieces to make it go further and balance the piece out  by putting it in three places - the rule of three!


The ribbon runs the whole length of the frame and comes out at the bottom. Where I have placed the bow it actually supports the swirl of the BFS chippie that sticks out from the hoop. I backed the back of the frame and banner with a piece of card, covering the ribbon as well to secure everything, to make it stronger and neater.



This project I have created for Angelica's All That Flutters challenge over at Swirlydoos. My     fluttering element is obviously the butterflies on the papers.



Please visit the  Swirlydoos  blog and forums for more info on their monthly kits and to join in with our challenges. We have great fun and they are a great bunch of ladies!!

Thanks for dropping by today

Ginny  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment